Thursday, January 30, 2014

Down the rabbit hole

I will often hop on Youtube and watch recent videos of musicians I subscribe to.  Today I went to one of my favorite artists channel Orla Gartland where she covered "Take Me To Church" by Hozier.  I had never heard of the song or the artist, but loved her rendition.  So down the rabbit hole I went in search of the original.  I came across many live videos but selected "Cherry Wine".  I am now hooked on his hauntingly beautiful voice, a mix between John Paul White of The Civil Wars, Jeff Buckley, and a certain je ne sais quoi, I've yet to put my finger on.   I'll let you be the judge, but please leave a comment below if you know what that third quality is.

"Sweet and right and merciful
  I'm all but washed
  In the tide of her breathing." 

I found the video for Hozier's Take Me To Church to be a bit heavy, which is fine, because I love Orla's version anyway.  Hope you enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment